Muxe Inc Forums
Sign in to follow this  
haman

bug: can't delete filename with special characters

haman    0

hi All,

I just discovered that NDN cannot delete a file with special (diacritics) characters in filename.

for example, create some file with special diacritics characters in explorer (File>New>Text file>special filename)

then try to delete. FAR deletes it , NDN not. direct access is OFF, OS-Depended Disk Access is ON or OFF, doesn't matter.

i' getting 2 different error NDN windows when deleting filename with slovak diacritics:

1) Could not erase the file - (when just diacritics chars)

2) Hardware failure on drive C: (12) - (diacritics + even more nonstandard chars from char table)

/haman

haman    0

sorry to not mentioning it:

NDN v2.15.0000/WIN32 on Windows 2000 Server english with Central Europe language settings enabled and Slovak locales and Slovak (qwerty) keyboard.

/haman

dandv    0
I just discovered that NDN cannot delete a file with special (diacritics) characters in filename.

1) Could not erase the file - (when just diacritics chars)

I've seen this since ages, in al DNs. What I did was type "del some_english_part_of_the_filename*" to get rid of the crappy file. Although I work in the software localization industry, I think naming files with anything outside the ASCII character set is a stupid idea. But that's just me.

haman    0

sorry to AngelsHolocaust and all readers,

the latest version v2.15.4000/w32 works correctly and deletes the file which V2.15.0000 cannot.

but I need to add 1 note. v2.15.4000 doesn't show the filename correctly like for example FAR does.

NDN shows only: ZBA87~1.TXT and down in the info panel is - No Long File Name - info.

but the real filename is much much longer and with diacritics chars.

anyway now it just deletes and that's the most important ;)

/haman

hi haman!

did NDN display the filenames with some "?" in the name?

for some reason some filenames did display these, i didn't find a reason, all i know is that i received these question marks from the system directly so i had to do a workaround:

all LFN with a ? use the short filename so you can work with these files, maybe i will find the problem someday later

Stefan / AH

haman    0
did NDN display the filenames with some "?" in the name?

no, in W2k it displays short filename as you said.

yes, system sends ??? as replacement for special chars.

FAR uses different approach, it displays what system sends. so some of special chars (classic diacritics chars) are displayed correctly and the very special chars are replaced by ???.

/haman