Muxe Inc Forums
Sign in to follow this  
erno

wishes for editor block commands

erno    0

Hi!

I have some ideas for editing.

1. block clear command (fill block with spaces), useful when editing table, to remain aligned.

2. option to move block to the cursor position relative to text, not to the screen.

example:

123456789, selecting 12, moving cursor after 4, now the result of block move will be 345612789,

It will be nice to have an option to move having the result 341256789.

3. Many times I need to swap 2 texts. If I could have an option to move block, and after move to remain selected all text involved in move then the swap would be easier.

example:

12 > 34 selected 12 cursor after >.

Moving block: the result will be

> 12 34

if > 12 remains selected, and moving cursor after 34, a new move command will produce

34 > 12.

Hi erno!

first of all thanks for the bug reports in the other posts

1. block clear command (fill block with spaces), useful when editing table, to remain aligned.

if you enable the OVERWRITE mode (Insert) and press CTRL-DEL the block will not be deleted but cleared

there are differences for INSERT and OVERWRITE modes very often

2. option to move block to the cursor position relative to text, not to the screen.

example:

123456789, selecting 12, moving cursor after 4, now the result of block move will be 345612789,

It will be nice to have an option to move having the result 341256789.

i see, you are right, this is a bit strange

i will add it to the todo list

3. Many times I need to swap 2 texts. If I could have an option to move block, and after move to remain selected all text involved in move then the swap would be easier.

example:

12 > 34 selected 12 cursor after >.

Moving block: the result will be

> 12 34

if > 12 remains selected, and moving cursor after 34, a new move command will produce

34 > 12.

you mean expanding the selection to "> 12" automatically?

this is very special and only useful in this case i think

maybe you can do a SWAP macro in the HGL file?

hm, i just tried... it seems a bit to complicated

but what about an option to swap 2 words?

this would be more generic and useful

in fact i would use something like this too quite often

bye

Stefan / AH

erno    0

Hi !

Thanks for your answer!

Additional comments to the wishes.

wish 1. You are right, I forgot this possibility.

wish 2. I mean, not to remove the current working mode, because it is useful too when I want to arrange text in page, but to put an on/off option to editor options to select working mode.

wish 3. Your idea to swap words is good too.

Maybe I wasn't clear, I don't want to make entire swap in one single step, I only would like an option in the editor on/off options:

"Keep all marked"

from the first beginning of block to the cursor position where I make the block move.

That way I can continue directly with cursor reposition and another move command.

Experimenting with block commands I discovered a strange behaviour:

When I copy or move a block with <CTRL>KC or <CTRL>KV some times the block remains marked, some times no, randomly.

I tried with move command, and then undo, move command, undo,... repeated more times.

The "Unmark pasted block" option doesn't matter.

Referring to one of bugs reported, maybe in overwrite mode if the block is moved you can keep spaces instead to deleting characters, alike the vertical blocks functioning.

Bye!

hi erno.

wish 2.

well, i am not sure, i cannot add more options concerning this, else it ill be too confusing

there is also the possiblity to move blocks with alt+up/down ....

wish 3.

i dont see the sense behind this option, as i sad above, there are already TOO many confusing

options concerning blocks

this new option/operation: how to call it? how to turn it on off? what is the reason for implementing it?

the swap words idea is nice, i don't know why to do the "keep all marked" operation

(it's more than just an option)

block behaviour:

because there are so many options you should provicde more information on your editor setup

thank you

Stefan/ AH