Muxe Inc Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HERB JONES

Switching panes automatically goes to the root directory.

HERB JONES    0

When I change directories, it remembers the last directory the pane was in.

When using two panes, and switching drives on the opposite pane, is there a way to make the working pane match the opposite pane?

i.e...

Left pane = c:\anything\junk Right pane = c:\subdir1

From the left pane, type 'e:' to switch to the e: drive.

From the left pane, type 'c:' to switch back to the c: drive.

Norton Commander would have placed the left pane on c:\subdir1. NDN instead places the left pane at c:\anything\junk.

Is there a way to make it act like NC?

GPFault    0

I don`t know way to get NDN work as you say, but there is an alternative:

pressing Ctrl+Shift+[ change right pane directory to the left`s one and Ctrl+Shift+] do opposite thing (set left pane directory).

Note: this function is quite new (appears in NDN 2.15.5814) and, if it doesn`t present in your version download last one from http://ndn.muxe.com/beta.php (really, beta is more stable and functional than last 'release')

For me, this way for swithing to same directory is more useful than nc style. I hope you`ll enjoy it too.

HERB JONES    0

I have updated to the beta copy so that I am matchig the version that you are using.

Your suggestion does not change the pane. The keystrokes you mention does cause the opposite pane's directory to show up on the command line, but pressing ENTER does not cause the pane to go to that directory.

I can get it to work by manually typing a 'CD' before pressing the ALT+CTL+'[' or ALT+CTL+']'.

Is this the way this key is supposed to work?

Thanks for your time,

-hj

GPFault    0
Your suggestion does not change the pane. The keystrokes you mention does cause the opposite pane's directory to show up on the command line
Seems to be keyboard handling bug, what NDN edition do you use (DOS32/Win32/Linux)?

Is this the way this key is supposed to work?
No, Ctrl+Shift+] should change directory of pane immediately.

HERB JONES    0

I am using the DOS32 version. I am running it in a DOS shell under W2K SP4.

Typing 'ver' in the DOS shell shows "Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]".

Thanks for your time,

-hj

GPFault    0

Unfortunately I can`t reproduce this bug (I tried in 2000 without SP and in XP SP1), so I can only guess for solution. You have Ctrl+Shift+[ (should switch panel directory, without modifying cmdline) working as Ctrl+[ (put directory name to cmd line), if I understand you clearly. I have similar problem with buggy national keyboard driver for DOS that I add to my autoexec.nt

The reason was that it comletly catch Ctrl+Shift combination. So, do you use some non-standard keyboard driver for DOS? Does other combinations with Ctrl+Shift work (Ctrl+shift+left/right arrows in editor for by word selection)? What symbol you get in english keyboard mode when you press Shift+[ (is it '{' or something other)?

Does Ctrl+Shift+[ work if you use other (left/right) Ctrl or Shift?

NDN dos32 is not recommended for use under win2000 (it has some other bugs and does not support clipboard in win2000). So, imho, you should try win32 version (v2.30.0024) (for user point of view there is very few differences between dos32 and win32 versions), and maybe you will not have your bug in it.

HERB JONES    0

I had assumed the Winodws version would run in Windows, and would not work under a DOS shell. In reality, the 'Windows version' looks like it is meant to be used with a 'Windows DOS shell'.

I have tried it, and the CTL,SHIFT,[ and CTL,SHIFT,] now seem to work okay.

Hoever, I now have ran into this problem. I have a batch file that is meant to automate changing directories:

@ECHO OFF

VERIFY OFF

CD \

CD USERS\GRPROG1

This batch file does not change directories as it did in NC.

note: C:\USERS\GRPOG1 is a legitimate directory.

This batch file successfully goes to the root directory (per the 'CD \'); however, the CD USERS\GRPROG1 doe not work, and the directory stays in the root when the batch is done.

I purposely do not specify te drive, as I run this batch from multiple mapped drives.

Thanks for your time,

-hj

GPFault    0

Unfortunately, I don`t know a way to change NDN directory from a batch file. (Though, I`m not sure it doesn`t exist).

For directory in a fixed drive it`s simple:

Go to directory, press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+1 (2..9) - and add directory in quick-change list

Now you can access it with Alt+1 (2..9)

I don`t know special feature to make it work as you want,

but there is an ugly hack that works, eee... sometimes works :)

Go to wanted directory on some of your drives (D:\Users\GRPROG1\ for example)

press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+1 and add directory in quick-change list

Select in main menu File->Restart NDN

Now, select Options->Initialization file

Search for QuickDir1

[Quick Directories]
QuickDir1=D:\Users\GRPROG1

Change it to

[Quick Directories]
QuickDir1=\Users\GRPROG1

Save file and restart ndn again

Now pressing Alt+1 will go to \Users\GRPROG1 directory in current drive. The only situation I found when this hack fails is when *:\Users\GRPROG1 already is current directory - there is unwanted extra error message. Also I`m not sure that this way is portable between different OS, even between different versions of windows.

HERB JONES    0

The description of this problem can be simplified as such.

1) With NDN open, move to any directory other than the root.

2) type CD \ and press enter (it will appear at the bottom of the screen under the DOS prompt) - the NDN window will now jump to the root directory.

This part works fine. NDN accepts DOS commands, and works flawless.

Now, the broke part...

1) Create a batch file that simply has one line that states CD \

2) In NDN, move to any directory other than the root and type the batch file name.

When running the batch file, NDN disappears (since it's running a DOS command), but when the NDN window re-appears (after the batch file), NDN has not changed to the root directory - it remains in the same directory.

Why would NDN accept hand typed CD commands, but does not accept them in a batch file?

Example, my batch file (that contains CD \) is named JUNK.BAT. If I open NDN and move to a random directory, and type junk, the NDN window does not change to the root. If I close NDN and look at the DOS window that was behind the NDN window, it shows...

c:\WHATEVER_DIR>JUNK.BAT

c:\WHATEVER_DIR>CD \

c:\

c:\WHATEVER_DIR>

It's as though it runs the batch, switches to the root, and NDN switches it back to the directory from which you started.

I can manually type CD and move to any directory I please, and NDN happily changes as I type them. It's only when I try to do it through a batch file that it is being stubborn.

I wrote a batch file to simply copy a file to another name, ran the batch file, and it created the new file with no problems. So it would appear that other batch file commands work fine. It's only the change directory command that seems to be an issue. It's as though NDN allows the directory change, but as soon as the batch file is over, it jumps back to where you started.

Thanks for your time!

Hello Herb.

Wow - a reply after 3 years :)

The description of this problem can be simplified as such.

1) With NDN open, move to any directory other than the root.

2) type CD \ and press enter (it will appear at the bottom of the screen under the DOS prompt) - the NDN window will now jump to the root directory.

This part works fine. NDN accepts DOS commands, and works flawless.

NDN handles directory changing commands internally.

Now, the broke part...

1) Create a batch file that simply has one line that states CD \

2) In NDN, move to any directory other than the root and type the batch file name.

When running the batch file, NDN disappears (since it's running a DOS command), but when the NDN window re-appears (after the batch file), NDN has not changed to the root directory - it remains in the same directory.

Why would NDN accept hand typed CD commands, but does not accept them in a batch file?

Nothing is broken here:

NDN simply doesn't care for where the executed batch file, command or program

changed the current directory to.

I already have this on my todo list and added your name to it:

- follow changed/keep current directories of executed programs (Wolf/Herb Jones)

But I cannot promise any time frame, sorry.

Bye,

Stefan / AH

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this