Muxe Inc Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dandv

Moving Files Is Slow

dandv    0

I've noticed this since years ago, but it has never bothered me too much, until now, when I'm moving a few hundred gigabytes around:

On Windows XP, moving a few hundred files and directories with NDN on the same disk is very slow. Windows Explorer moves the same files in 1-2 seconds.

I've tried moving, say, 800 4Mb JPG files from one folder into another folder on the same drive, with the "OS-dependent disk access" option both checked and unchecked. In both cases, NDN appeared to move each file individually and do some extra checks, while Windows moved all the files at once, instantly.

The "Verify disk writes" and "Copy description" options were unchecked in the move dialog.

Is there a way to speed up moving files on the same disk, when the moving only involves updating an entry in the FAT or NTFS, and no actual copying of the file contents?

Thanks,

Dan

haman    0
On Windows XP, moving a few hundred files and directories with NDN on the same disk is very slow. Windows Explorer moves the same files in 1-2 seconds.

I think, NDN does not try to copy files, but it's a fact, that NDN's move routine is very slow.

Even if you try to move 1 folder with many files inside it to different location on same drive, it is slow.

Because NDN tries to move every file inside that folder separately, one by one. Windows or Far moves only the actual folder.

Honestly, I don't use NDN to move many files. I use FAR or Windows for that.

I would like to fix this as a top priority.

Hi!

It is true: NDN moves/renames every file separately.

Todo list:

* COPY/MOVE: moving dirs which exists on same drive: reads and writes all data

-> directories can be moved completely with files

-> should del file, and quick rename

But to be honest, I don't know how that could be *easily* fixed without messing the already

messed up copy code up even more. I would have to mark directories that can be moved

completely without the need of accessing each file inside of the directory and move these

separately.

On my todo list is already this:

! rewrite copy (FTP etc....)

This not only concerns the poblem above and the 2GB limit, but also the local disk only limitation of the current

implementation. I want all existing and future VFS also to be compatible with a new

copy/move code.

I am not sure if I should spend more time on the old code.

"OS-dependent disk access" is always on, this seems to be an old remain from

the old D32 direct disk access operations.

All disk operations of course are OS dependent right now.

As it is no real flaw I don't think this is of top priority,

especially because I am afraid of touching the copy code at the moment.

Hope this at least explains the current situation,

Stefan / AH