Muxe Inc Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RayeR

Ndn 2.30.7187 Dos, Cannot Run Extension-associated Commands Under Winx

RayeR    0

I'm just trying new NDN beta, first problem I found that I cannot exec commands associated in ndn.ext. Eg. compile a .C file, delete .tmp file...

Instead executing command I got prompt and only I can do is call simple commands like dir and type exit to switch back to NDN. But when I type a command into commandline in NDN window it is executed properly. I suspect some problems witch comspec variable or so. Before I start NDN I open console window cmd.exe and type set and see ComSpec=c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe but when I run NDN it changes to ComSpec=c:\windows\system32\command.com. I cannot override it back to cmd.exe by editing dos environment. I don't know if it does matter. Please try comebody else.

When i'll back at home I'll test under DOS and Win98

Hi RayeR.

Yes, WinNT+ automatically uses command.com for ANY DOS program.

No matter if you used CMD.EXE to start NDN.

I still added the item to the todo list.

If there is really a problem I will fix it, but I must recommend to use

the Win32 version for WinNT+. It's not only more compatible ith the NT line

but also MUCH faster.

If there's a problem with W98, please report it.

Thank you,

Stefan / AH

RayeR    0

Under DOS 6.22 and Win98 SE it works fine. But I'll be happy if it will works in NT too. I know that is better use win32 ver. under NT but for portable boot usb/cd it's good to have one version which can run under all systems.

BTW I see another issue with NDN under NT but it's some specific of my system (XP SP2) - when I start DOS NDN it take ~10 sec when pannels are displayed, 1st I see only NDN welcome message on black screen. But on another PC at work with XP too it started up fast. Any idea what can be wrong? Other DOS apps starts also fast, eg. DN OSP 6.4.0. I guess it maybe retriving some info about drives.

Hi again!

I understand, and, if I ever have enough time to look into the NT-DPMI32 problems

I will do it.

I cannot promise anything though. :(

To be true, this is of really low priority, as this is more of an optimization thing.

The DPMI32 <-> NT interface (not inside NDN code!) is really slow.

Maybe I can do some tests with other DOS Extenders.

But don't count on it.

Sorry but thank you for your interest,

Stefan / AH