Muxe Inc Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GPFault

Moving Directories Inside One Drive

GPFault    0

Hi.

There is a problem in v2.30.6778/RUS (06-07-2007) WIN32, os - win2k3 (and as far I know in most previous versions in other operating systems):

When I try to move folder within single drive (with F6) - NDN does recursive renaming. But it`s too slow if there is a lot of files in folder (>1000). Why single rename of the folder is not used? It`s a lot faster.

If single renaming fails for some reason (locked files etc) - yes, in such case recurive renaming may be good idea, but not in general case, i think.

Far, for exaple use single renaming and it works fine.

In non-Windows OS's doing this with a single renaming is also possible.

Thanks.

Hi!

from the whatsnew/todo:

* COPY/MOVE: renaming file which exists on same drive: reads and writes complete data

network drives onlY?

I have checked on this but didn't find a way to recreate it.

It's not forgotten.

Of course NDN does support renaming of files/dirs on the same drive.

Thank you and bye,

Stefan / AH

GPFault    0
from the whatsnew/todo:

* COPY/MOVE: renaming file which exists on same drive: reads and writes complete data

network drives onlY?

The problen I described in first post looks to be another problem - it applies only to F6 (renaming with alt+F6 works correctly) and it applies to directories and not files. Maybe I hadn`t described it clearly in first post.

I have folder named BigFolder containing 1000 files. It is located in C:\FirstDir

I want to move it to another place in drive C: - to the C:\SecondDir

C:\FirstDir is in one panel, C:\SecondDir is in other one.

I put cursor to the BigFolder and press F6, Enter.

What happens:

-NDN creates folder BigFolder in C:\SecondDir

-NDN does 1000 renaming operations - it renames C:\FirstDir\BigFolder\file1 to C:\SecondDir\BigFolder\file1 and makes such operations for each of 1000 files.

-NDN removes empty C:\FirstDir\BigFolder

aybe even 1000 files. But for directory with complex subdirectory structure and a dozen thousands files in it the operations maybe really slow (a few minutes)

Allmost all other filemanagers do this operaion instantly - they use only one OS filesystem call - renaming C:\FirstDir\BigFolder to C:\SecondDir\BigFolder and does not any recursion.

So, the problem in whatsnew/todo looks to me as another one. If it`s really the same, I'm sorry.

About recreation - I have this problem with both:

-2.30.6778 in windows with custom settings on NTFS

-old ndn v4000 in dos with default settings on FAT

so it`s really strange if you hadn`t it