Sign in to follow this  
Guest Sir_Yaro

linux directory structure

Guest Sir_Yaro   
Guest Sir_Yaro

Hi.

If u don't mind i'll number question.

1)

Is there any way to setup linux ndn to works more like linux program?

Mainly i mean to use linux directory structure and what is most important to use ~/.conf_dir/ directory.

I try to set up binary in /usr/bin and rest of the files somewhere in /usr/etc or /etc and ~/.ndn but this seems not to work at all...

What urge you to keep "windows app structure" under linux ?

few less important questions:

2) Is there any documentation anywhere ? Its not easy to guess what every option do. (except ndn/doc/ndn.txt which is 8 years old :) )

3) As far i understand ndn is not open source, right? is just freeware. am I right ?

3) In column setup (ALT+K) what column type can be set? NSDTE are default. What other can be used? What about atributes?

i found it. Could u consider adding attribs to DRV menu ?

4) how to change codepage ? I can't get any letter specific to my language.

5) home and end doesn't do anything. Is it bug or is it related to point 4 ?

6) some how i've turned on attribs below right panel and i can't turn it on in the second panel :wacko: could u give some tip ?

7) if you point any file or dir attribs will be displayed. Now use mouse wheel to change highligted ("cursor"/selection) location (basically scroll window up and down). Attribs stays same no matter what selection pointing at. I hope u understand what i meant... :lol: :lol:

Hello Sir Yaro!

2) only the english online documentation is up to date and complete (F1)

1) a part of the answert to your question can be found in the online help under the topic

Environment switches (in the main help page)

there are a lot of included files in NDN.

i don't want to write a separate installation script or anything.

and i compile NDN in a cross-compile environment.

i work on NDN in windows as i do in linux, on the same partition.

so everything is very straight forward like this and i don't see a reason to change

this until there's a real good reason. i understand that this is strange to linux freaks.

(linux is still quite strange to me too....).

btw, i don't see any reason why NDN should not be different from all the other linux programs out there :)

3) correct. but interested people get the source code without problem and try their luck.

3) try the online help :P

4) there's no way to change codepages within NDN (except in viewer via XLT tables)

codepages are a mystery to me, believe me.

are you using NDN in the linux console or in X? (i don't think you are using X as NDN has a lot of problems there)

look at the help of the Misc Setups.Operating System for some hints on changing screen fonts...

5) cannot imagine that this has to do with 4)

if you are running in X then NDN might not be able to hook the Xkeyboard or gets different

terminal strings for these keys

6) hit ALT-S in the panel and enable ATTRIBS ON SEPARATOR

7) indeed - this is a bug - congratulations for your very first bug report

if you are working in a linux console (gpm?), is the mouse wheel working then?

Bye

Stefan / AH

Guest Sir_Yaro   
Guest Sir_Yaro

First of all (for any case) I'm not linux maniac :) I see good and bad sides of it.

3) correct. but interested people get the source code without problem and try their luck.

Making it o/s can speed up development process dozens times. And then, and only then it can be included in some linux distros. And that is a huge popularity improvement (i've read your complains about stangly low popularity of ndn). I'd say ndn has great chance to counquer linux console and replace damn shitty midnight commander. Think about it :D

codepages are a mystery to me, believe me.

welcome to the club :D

are you using NDN in the linux console or in X? (i don't think you are using X as NDN has a lot of problems there)

pty in X - no problems here except wrong key codes (what is a quite big problem)

tty - most of key codes seems to be fine (except national letters) but semi-graphic is broken. For example instead of | I have x'es and horizontal lines became q letters and so on... I can bet 50ˆ that locale has something to do with it. I use UTF8 and iI'm preatty sure ndn doesn't.

look at the help of the Misc Setups.Operating System for some hints on changing screen fonts...

I feel stupid but how to get there?

try the online help

I will. Just need to understand how it works... I barely remember dn from the old dos times...

6) hit ALT-S in the panel and enable ATTRIBS ON SEPARATOR

DAMN! It's was so easy! how could I overlooked it ? thank you!

7) indeed - this is a bug - congratulations for your very first bug report

if you are working in a linux console (gpm?), is the mouse wheel working then?

not first :)

I've raported few bugs long time ago, but my account got deleted because of some strange reasons. :blink:

Anyway i work in real terminal rather rarly so all of my observations aplly to pseudo terminal in X unless I said something different.

8. ALT + Fx combination doesn't and won't work in terminal (tty) cause this combination is used to switch between terminals (tty1-tty12) and won't be be change...

9. Could u consider adding attribs to DRV menu ?

if you are running in X then NDN might not be able to hook the Xkeyboard or gets different

terminal strings for these keys

is there any way to fix it? Cause I use mc and probably ndn mostly in X'es...

Hi!

os CAN speed up, but it's not guaranteed to bring any benefit.

We could make a poll here on how many people ever contributed to an os project.

I never comlained - I just wondered.

Maybe it's a blessing not to be very popular.

tty characters:

turn on direct screen writes in NDN and load a charset, as i described in my previous post.

Maybe this helps.

Options.Configuration.Miscellaneous Setups.Operating System

This is a drop down box.

Alt+Fx:

Then you maybe are not having all root rights, so NDN cannot modify the keyboard map.

DRV Attrs

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

Keyboard Strings:

Probably. I just don't know when or how.

I am quite sick of all the version mess in Linux and X.

Maybe the next release will be a compatibility only release... no idea.

Hope this solved most of your problems.

Bye,

Stefan / AH

Guest Sir_Yaro   
Guest Sir_Yaro
Options.Configuration.Miscellaneous Setups.Operating System

This is a drop down box.

I feel stupid but there is no "Miscellaneous Setups" option. Please look below:

http://yaro.gdi.pl/tmp/tmp256.jpg

Alt+Fx:

Then you maybe are not having all root rights, so NDN cannot modify the keyboard map.

yup, that was a problem. Thanks! But running apps as a root is generally very bad idea.

Anyway I find many broken shortcuts. Too many to mention here. If I may advise you something. Try to find some who has some idea about codepages and can help you with this issue. Cause in this stage most (if not all) users will choose limited mc over ndn just because of it "no-international" nature. I'd love to use ndn on my box but it's just not very handy at the moment. Please don't be angry at me :)

I just wonder, how importand ndn development is for you? Is it something that you work with from time to time or is it under heavy development? I'm asking beacause in second case I could help (and find some other hands) a little bit here and there....

I am quite sick of all the version mess in Linux and X.

Oh, I understand you very well. But as far as I know (but it's not very far, i'm admin not coder :D ) there is UTF8 and full support for UTF8 should fix all codepage problems.

Hey Yaro!

I feel stupid but there is no "Miscellaneous Setups" option. Please look below:

http://yaro.gdi.pl/tmp/tmp256.jpg

oh no!

Do you realize that your version of NDN is almost ONE year old?

Please get a new version and test again.

Btw, the new version will hardly work in X since the XAPI makes big problems...

But give it a try.

yup, that was a problem. Thanks! But running apps as a root is generally very bad idea.

If you want all that NDN can do you need root rights (keyboard, direct screen writes).

Another thing I don't like about LINUX, the security hysteria has gone much too far.

What are people afraid of?

Anyway I find many broken shortcuts. Too many to mention here. If I may advise you something. Try to find some who has some idea about codepages and can help you with this issue. Cause in this stage most (if not all) users will choose limited mc over ndn just because of it "no-international" nature. I'd love to use ndn on my box but it's just not very handy at the moment. Please don't be angry at me

I just wonder, how importand ndn development is for you? Is it something that you work with from time to time or is it under heavy development? I'm asking beacause in second case I could help (and find some other hands) a little bit here and there....

I work almost daily on NDN, since 4 years now.

If you really want to take a look at the source, no problem.

Oh, I understand you very well. But as far as I know (but it's not very far, i'm admin not coder ) there is UTF8 and full support for UTF8 should fix all codepage problems.

UTF-8 is on my todo list.

In a later version from last year there are some OS screen options you can use.

Please try the new version.

Bye

Stefan / AH